The Disability Action Center (DAC) is a comprehensive education, training, and enrichment center for individuals with disabilities and their families: a place for individuals of all abilities to learn, train, work, recreate, advocate, and be supported in setting and reaching life goals.
The DAC currently serves over 450 children and adults with disabilities and their families in counties in North Central WV including Marion, Monongalia, Harrison, Taylor, and Barbour. Clients range in age from 10 to 60+ with a wide range of physical, intellectual, and sensory challenges.
Formerly known as the Arc of Marion County, the DAC has been providing programs and services for children, adults and their families since 1958.
The founding chapter of the ARC (Association of Retarded Citizens) of Marion County, WV was comprised primarily of parents of children and adult children with mental retardation. The group lobbied for better educational and vocational opportunities for all people with mental retardation or developmental disabilities. As society progressed and the term mental retardation took on a negative connotation, the Association of Retarded Citizens changed their name to simply, The ARC. The mission and goal of The ARC was to always further the lives and opportunities of people with developmental disabilities.
In 2008, the ARC of Marion County, WV took a step further by incorporating and changing their name and mission to a more positive and proactive organization: The Disability Action Center (DAC). The DAC has broadened the scope of our programs to focus more on employment readiness, adult transition, independent living, health and wellness, and all-encompassing education programs that enrich the quality of life for individuals with disabilities and their families.
Mission Statement: The Disability Action Center is dedicated to providing individuals with disabilities, primarily developmental disabilities, and their families with the support, knowledge, and resources they need to reach their greatest level of independence.
The Purpose of The Disability Action Center is:
- To improve the quality of life of all Marion County citizens with developmental disabilities.
- To promote community awareness and understanding of individuals with disabilities in pursuit of building an inclusive community.
- To cooperate and enlist the support of public, private, religious, medical, educational, and professional agencies on the local, state, and federal level in furtherance of these objectives.
- To further the implementations of statues and regulations on behalf of individuals with developmental disabilities.
- To foster the development of integrated programs and employment on behalf of individuals with developmental disabilities and their families.
- To increase the literacy, numeracy, computer, and technology awareness and promote lifelong learning for individuals with disabilities and their families.
- To encourage nutrition education and inspire a healthy and positive lifestyle for individuals with disabilities and their families.
- To empower our members to set and reach life goals and encourage financial and cultural awareness in pursuit of becoming responsible, contributing members of society.
- To develop a family support network and sense of belonging and community through social and recreational programs.
- To promote self-advocacy through our People First group and educate our members about their rights, responsibilities, and capabilities in living a self-directed purpose driven life.
- To deliver quality linkage and referral services to individuals with disabilities and their families and remain a proactive community resource center.